Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Cotton ball with legs


I started this loosely painted Killdeer chick yesterday.  I use my normal palette of ultramarine blue, alizarin crimson, Indian yellow, and titanium white. Instead of applying thin glazes of individual color, I am adding the colors on the canvas and mixing them as I paint.  I will keep it in the studio for awhile to see if anything nasty jumps out and begs to be changed. Then I will put the finishing glazes on.  
Every year we have Killdeer nesting at the airport. This year I saw two different clutches running around with their parents noisily doing their broken wing distraction. When I see this behavior, I quickly look behind me and see the young chicks running for the grass.  The chicks grow fast, so these puffballs with legs only last for a week or so.

1 comment:

  1. But they're the cutest little puffballs with legs. I like this guy with his teeny tiny wings.

    ReplyDelete